Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Counting Your Blessings When You are in a Rut

Sometimes when you've just gotten out of a rut, for some insane reason you fall right back into it.

I woke up today, bright and cheerful. My best friend noticed and even said, "Someone's cheerful today". Yeah, check out the previous post.

And, so I thought. (rolling eyes)

I didn't mean to fall right back in the rut I'm in. Some circumstances in the evening shoved me back in. I read in one of Bo Sanchez' books that whenever you're feeling down and lonely you should write down at least ten blessings and that would cheer you up.

I've forgotten about this. I used to do this every single day before and I'd even write down the mundane things like "cold water on a really hot day" as a blessing. It helps me a lot.

And, so when I got home, I was definitely quite sad (shoved back in the rut remember). My son was asleep with the TV's remote control still clasped in his hand. I just scratched my head, sat beside his bed and kissed his bushy head. He woke up instantly and hugged me. And then he wouldn't let go. I was quite surprised because he usually just gives me a big hug and let's go immediately. I guess he felt I was sad because he really wouldn't let me go. I even chided him that he probably needed something or that something has gone wrong. He said he just wanted to hug me and just hugged harder.

And that broke me. I didn't want him to see me sad so I put him back to sleep and went to my study room to check my mail and there popped my next blessing.

In this really crazy and chaotic world it's really hard to find friends you could trust. I've all but given up on finding new friends I could really be myself with. But God is continually (and forever!) good because He has sent me an unexpected friend. Inasmuch as I've known him only for a couple of months, he's been there in the happy-happy/joy-joy times and now he's seen me really sad. And that's really rare coz I usually find something to be happy about every single day.

My son and my friend. Just those two is more than enough blessings for today.

No comments: